Hi all.
When I first started teaching English, I would see textbooks introducing phrasal verbs that even I rarely used. Oh my God! Students were spending hours memorizing long lists of expressions, only to discover that native speakers almost never said them.
Long story short... not all phrasal verbs are created equal.
If you're learning English, don't try to memorize hundreds of phrasal verbs. Start with the ones you'll hear every single day. Once you know these, you'll begin to understand movies, TV shows, podcasts, and everyday conversations much more easily.
Can I get an AMEN?
What Is a Phrasal Verb?
A phrasal verb is simply a verb + a small word (called a particle).
For example:
- get up
- turn on
- find out
- pick up
The small word changes the meaning of the verb.
For example:
- pick = lift
- pick up = collect, answer the phone, learn something, or lift!
Yes... English likes to keep us guessing. 😄
The 15 Phrasal Verbs You Should Learn First
1. Get up
Meaning: Leave your bed.
I get up at 6:30 every morning.
2. Wake up
Meaning: Stop sleeping.
I woke up late today.
3. Turn on
Meaning: Start a machine or device.
Can you turn on the TV?
4. Turn off
Meaning: Stop a machine or device.
Please turn off the lights.
5. Find out
Meaning: Discover information.
I found out my exam results yesterday.
6. Pick up
Meaning: Collect someone or something.
I'll pick you up after work.
7. Come back
Meaning: Return.
Please come back tomorrow.
8. Go out
Meaning: Leave home for entertainment or social activities.
We're going out for dinner tonight.
9. Sit down
Meaning: Take a seat.
Please sit down.
10. Stand up
Meaning: Rise to your feet.
Everyone stood up when the teacher entered.
11. Look for
Meaning: Search.
I'm looking for my keys.
12. Give up
Meaning: Stop trying.
Don't give up! Keep practicing your English.
13. Put on
Meaning: Dress yourself in clothing.
Put on your jacket. It's cold outside.
14. Take off
Meaning: Remove clothing.
Take off your shoes before coming inside.
15. Work out
Meaning: Exercise or solve a problem.
I work out three times a week.
We finally worked out the answer.
Don't Memorize. Use Them!
Here's a secret many students don't know...
The best way to learn phrasal verbs isn't by memorizing a list.
It's by using them in real conversations.
Instead of writing:
❌ "Get up = leave bed."
Write:
✅ "I get up at 7:00 every morning."
Now it's your sentence.
Now you'll remember it.
Ta-da!
Your Challenge
Choose five phrasal verbs from this list.
Write one sentence for each.
Then try to use at least one of them in an English conversation this week.
You'll be surprised how quickly they become part of your vocabulary.
Final Thoughts
Many English learners think they need to know hundreds of phrasal verbs before they can speak naturally.
The truth?
A small group of common phrasal verbs will take you much further than a giant list you'll never use.
Start with the expressions you hear every day. Practice them often. Before long, you'll notice yourself using them without even thinking.
English doesn't become easier because you memorize more words.
It becomes easier because you use the right words.
I love you all.
Keep practicing, keep smiling, and remember—every conversation is another workout for your English!
Tata for now! 💛

