Born to Ride - Ride to Live

 




Hi All, 

Did you know that native English speakers continue to learn English their entire life? Yes, we do. Including me! 👀 Let me me tell you of some new vocabulary that I have recently had the misfortune of learning about. 

My son owns a Harley Davidson motorcycle; one similar to the the pictured above. A week ago he was in an accident and received 3rd degree burns down both arms and broke his left wrist. Although he has been in accidents before, this was the first time that I had to deal with burns. This entire situation was all new for me. Not only did I get scared, shocked, saddened and cried, but I ended up learning some new vocabulary in the whole ordeal. So like any great teacher, I had to share this on my blog. 



My son the day of his accident.

Vocabulary: 
  • took a spill or ate the sh*t- (verb phrases) when someone falls off their motorcycle. 
  • road rash - (noun) a burn that is caused by friction when the body hits the street or pavement. 
  • burn unit - (noun) a special section in a hospital that is dedicated to victims of all types of burns. 
  • scraping - (verb) the method that the burn unit uses to clean the road rash. 
  • dressing - (both, verb and noun) clean bandages that the burn victim is wrapped with. 
  • tubing - (noun) the elastic tube that keeps the dressing tight; used instead of tape.
  • a cut - (noun) the leather jacket that a motorcyclist wears; usually with various patches. 
  • totaled - (adjective) when a motorcycle is beyond repair.

Well, just in case you are wondering how he is doing, he is much better now, and his wounds are healing nicely. Will I ever be able to keep him off his bike? Probably never! 


Comments